Friday, November 13, 2009

Grandpa's Birthday Cake





Not my best work, but I was pretty pleased with the way this one turned out considering I had to do it in a rush! It is a basic yellow sheet cake (no filling, didn't have time). It is covered in a white fluffy frosting, with a white frosting "ribbon" border. The frog in the corner is store-bought... it's a Coqui frog holding a telephone in one hand and a cigar in the other. The Coqui is a native of my family's country of origin: Puerto Rico... which I thought would be a nice addition to Grandpa's cake in celebration of his 80th birthday because he is all about his country :) I have the Coqui sitting on a marshmallow, which I painted with green frosting... the same green frosting that serves as leaves around the frog's "lily pad". I used blue sugar crystals as the water around the lily pad and I also sprinkled them all over the cake to give it a little pop of color. Finally, in keeping with the ode to Puerto Rico and with the interests of Grandpa for this cake, I added several edible dominoes. Using white fondant and some black piping gel I sculpted and designed each of these precious little dominoes (with a great deal of help from my bestie Diana... thanks girl!). I think the dominoes were a real cool touch! I must say that everyone at Grandpa's 80th birthday party was impressed with how it came out and Grandpa was certainly pleased.
P.s--- This cake was done Oct. 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment