Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cupcakes for Cystic Fibrosis Bake Sale

There was a bakesale at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center (NYC) to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis foundation. My mother works at that hospital and asked that I bake some cupcakes to help raise money. Also, Cystic Fibrosis happens to be the charity that my sorority (D Phi E) raises money for. So, of course, I had to help out! The basics of these little "gems" are: lemon cupcake with a raspberry buttercream icing, rainbow sugar crystals sprinkled on top, and a yellow candy DOT to top it off.

I couldn't stay for the bakesale because I had to get to work. However, my mom called me to tell me that my cupcakes were being sold for $2 a piece and that they were a big HIT! She said people were coming up to the table, by-passing the store-bought goodies and heading straight for mine... they kept saying "we want the homemade stuff." I'm happy :)

For your knowledge, here is some info on Cystic Fibrosis. I obtained it from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation website (www.cff.org): "Cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that:
*clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections;
*obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food."

No comments:

Post a Comment