Monday, August 9, 2010

Birthday Cupcake Cake... Happy Bday Cathy!


In honor of my co-worker's birthday, I made her a little office-appropriate cake. It's a white cake (shaped like a cupcake). Since she loves guava fillings, I decided to go ahead with that. I covered it with a white buttercream. I used a pink edible gel writer to outline the "cupcake liner" and decorated the top half of the cupcake cake with edible pink pearls.

This is my third time using this Wilton cupcake-shaped pan and I have to admit, I'm still not happy with it. When it bakes, the edges brown quickly, while the big part of the "cupcake" is still all gooey. I tried using a bake-even strip, but the pan's shape makes it difficult. Then, once it is baked, I always let it cool completely before removing it from the pan and yet I always run into the same problem... the top of the "cupcake" is very top-heavy and the weight of it always causes it to crack and separate from the "liner" half of the cake. I always end up having to do some repair work!
Has anyone else out there used this pan and run into the same issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment