Friday, August 27, 2010

Button Flower Ode to Delta Phi Epsilon


To practice the button flowers I learned to make in the Wilton class, I decided to make a mock cake. I chose to decorate a cube of styrofoam. I didn't make an actual cake because I really just wanted to practice decor. I was going to frost the cube or cover the whole thing in smooth white fondant, but I guess I was being cheap this week and didn't want to waste my materials. LOL. Plus, I figured that the cube of styrofoam as it was looked the same as if I had frosted it and then added a layer of clear sugar crystals.

Anyway, I chose the royal purple and golden yellow colors because they reminded me of my sorority colors (D Phi E... yea my fellow deephers, I know our flower is the Iris, but I haven't learned the Iris flower yet so the button flower will have to do LOL). I also mixed some of the purple and yellow with white fondant to end up with a marble effect of lavendar and pale yellow. To finish up the look, I piped on some green stems, leaves and grass. Overall, I thought it came out pretty cute :)

No comments:

Post a Comment